DID YOU KNOW – the Byre and the Cowshed are interconnected and can be booked individually (with complete privacy, of course), as a pair with the partition removed, or individually as 1 or 3 bedroom properties depending on availability.
If you wish to know more, please contact Jean on 01827 880448 or email email@example.com before you book.
Combine our cottages
The Byre can interconnect with The Cowshed. If you wish to book an extra bedroom or two 2 bed properties connected, please check The Cowshed calendar below to find dates where both properties are free.
What’s in your cottage?
Our gorgeous holiday cottages are spotlessly clean and fully-equipped with everything you’ll need. There is free WiFi throughout.
Each cottage has:
- Flatscreen TV with Freeview
- DVD player
- Deep, comfy sofas
- Masses of tourist information
- Complimentary flapjacks on arrival. Home-made by Jean, they are fabulous and a favourite with our guests.
Each kitchen has:
- Solid oak units
- Electric cooker and microwave
- Fridge and freezer
- Comprehensive cooking equipment
- Crockery and glassware
Each en-suite has:
- Shower or bath with overhead shower
- Shaver point
- Big white fluffy towels
All electricity, heating, linen and towels are included in your tariff; if you’re bringing baby, please bring your own cot linen too. We can provide one additional z-bed and bedding in the sitting room of each cottage for a small charge. There is a fully-equipped laundry room on site – it’s free to use but please bring your own washing powder. We can even loan you an iPod dock if you’ve forgotten yours.
Everyone gets a warm welcome at Upper Rectory Farm Cottages so if you have any special requirements, please let the ever-accommodating Jean know. Unfortunately, currently we can’t accommodate guest’s pets.
This is the Access Statement specifically for The Byre. You can read the full Upper Rectory Farm Cottages Access Statement here.
Upper Rectory Farm Cottages are a collection of 9 restored farm barns set in the middle of a 200 acre arable farm in the heart of the Leicestershire countryside with wide-ranging views across the cornfields. Six of the cottages are on ground floor level and the other three are two-storey buildings. The Refectory is a large ground-floor dining/meeting room for use with the latter cottages and has it’s own kitchen situated in the centre of the two-storey group of cottages but is on the ground floor with level access to both the dining room and kitchen. There is a separate ground floor accessible shower room available to all guests if required.
Each cottage has an information folder with emergency numbers and owner’s contact details .
The tarmac farm drive is half a mile long and slopes gradually as it nears the cottages. The cottages are set around 3 interconnecting courtyards and have level access throughout and parking right up to the doors.
- Single-storey cottage with no hall, stairs or passageways .
- Entrance: 7″ step over the threshold. A ramp (no hand rails) is available.The front door is 31″ wide. The outside light is on an activation sensor. The flooring inside the door is oak flooring.
- Kitchen/living room: The spacious kitchen/sitting room has an oak floor with slate tiles in the kitchen area. The dining table is 31″ high with legs at each corner and a central stretcher beneath. There are 6 armless chairs around the table. The worktops are 36″ high. The wall units are 53″ from the floor. The electic cooker has a side opening door with a lowest shelf height of 7″. The under-unit fridge has a lowest shelf height of 11″. The small freezer is in a separate low unit with a lowest shelf height of 4″. There is a cordless kettle. The kitchen is evenly lit with ceiling spotlights and under-unit strip lighting. There are 2 three-seater sofas and an armchair all of which may be moved. There is a coffee table, 18″ high. The front door and the door to the bedrooms are 31″ wide. There is digital TV and DVD player – each with remote control. There is natural daylight, and in the evening there is good lighting with ceiling spotlights, wall lights and movable table lamps. There are double-door french windows with a step of 6″ down onto the patio.
- Bedrooms: The Byre has 2 bedrooms both with level access from the kitchen/sitting room. The doors are 31″ wide. The twin bedroom has 2 single beds which are 16″ apart and may be moved further apart. Both beds have the height from floor to top of mattress of 24″. The double room has a double bed with height from floor to top of mattress of 24″. The flooring is short pile carpet. There is natural daylight, and in the evening there is good lighting with wall lights and movable table lamps.
- Ensuites: The twin bedroom has with level access to the ensuite bathroom. The door is 26″ wide. The bath has an overhead shower and has glass surrounds. There are no grab rails. The washbasin is 31″ from the floor. A riser seat is available on request. There is a tiled floor. Lighting is with ceiling spotlights and an over mirror strip light. The double bedroom has level access to the ensuite shower room. The door is 26″ wide. washbasin is 31″ from the floor. It has a tiled floor, ceiling spotlights and over mirror strip light.
- Outside area: The Byre and the Cowshed share a paved patio and lawned area accessed from their sitting rooms. It is level ground with a narrow paved path out to the roadway. There are tables and chairs on the patio from spring to autumn.
VisitEngland’s unique Gold award recognises exceptional quality within a star rating or for outperforming a star rating. And our cottages are reviewed every year to ensure we’re maintaining our standards. All of our cottages have achieved at least 4 Stars with a Gold Award. Plus, because we allocate cottages based on your group, we don’t charge extra for our 5 Star cottages.
What our guests say..
Ideal place for a family weekend together.
This was a fantastic place for a family weekend. We had The Byre, The Cowshed and The Piggery for 2 gatherings of 15. Everything was just perfect. Jean was most welcoming and the flapjacks went down a treat!
Perfect for a family get-together. Great location, lots to do.
Loved the peace and quiet - and the sunsets! We have all had the best time. Perfect base for “Thomas Land”!
This is our 7th. Year at “Jean’s Farm”! Amazing time yet again!
Quiet comfortable bliss!
Wonderful place to celebrate brother” Golden Wedding. We were able to have all the family including 9 grandchildren and 6 great-grandchildren - usually difficult to arrange but perfect here. An enjoyable but all too short stay in lovely and peaceful surroundings. Excellent standard of accommodation. Much appreciated.